Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME B31.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardin

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2003
NO
In EN13480 there is a limitation on the use of pad reinforcement (fig. 8.3.6-1) on piping.
I have a system that is 100bar and would like to know if ASME B31.3 knows of such a limitation?
I tried to find more information on this in the ASME code but was unable to find this. I would therefore assume that there is no limitation in the ASME code, but i would like to be sure that i did not overlook this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There's no such restriction in ASME B31.3, afaik. B31.3 only provides requirements/restrictions wrt to
- material, related to allowable stress
- shape (ring or saddle)
- area replacement
- material, related to weldability, heat treatment requirements, galvanic corrosion, thermal expansion, etc.
- dimensions for welding
- SIF's for stress analysis

Review 304.3.3(c)(3), 304.3.3(f) and fig 328.5.4.

In my experience, EN 13480 is a lot more detailed than B31.3 when it comes to formula's, rules, etc. It's also a bit vague on some parts, as 13480 still has many shortcomings (unspecified requirements) and unclear details or even contradictory requirements. The counterpart of such a code is that it may also put more restrictions on piping design, of which this is an example.

Thank you for the reply. It is what i thought then.
I agree with your comment. Unfortunately there no general code that brings ASME and EN together and both codes have their weaknesses.

Hi cardin-

No limitation for reinforcing pads for vessels, at least not in ASME Section VIII.

You'll find a more piping oriented audience at forum378 for your B31 and other piping related queries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back