Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME BPVC.I-2017: PW-40.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JXWu

Petroleum
Oct 26, 2015
TH
I found a weld defect on P-No. 1 material after it has been PWHT'ed.
I intend to repair the weld followed by another cycle PWHT. NDE will be same as original weld.

Question: Does the requirement of section PW-40.3, PW-40.3.1-9 applies if I were to PWHT the repaired weld?
My understanding of PW-40.3 is that it only applies if I do not want to perform PWHT after repairs.
My inspector and I have different interpretation of the words "final PWHT" as mention in PW-40.3.

ASME Section I, PW-40.3:-
"Defects in P-No. 1, all groups (if not otherwise exempted by Table PW-39-1), and P‐No. 3 Group Nos. 1 and 2 materials, and in the welds joining these materials, may be weld repaired after the final PWHT but prior to the final hydrostatic test. The welded repairs shall meet the requirements below."

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PW-40.3 refers to not having to perform another PWHT cycle after the final PWHT has been completed if defects are found after the final PWHT. You must follow the defect limits, depth and repair requirements in PW-40.3.1-9 to avoid a second PWHT cycle.

metengr,
thanks for the quick clarification!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back