ASME BPVC Section VIII Div.1 nozzle attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerM

Mechanical
Feb 16, 2017
US
Good morning everyone,

I have two questions. The first is about the ASME BPVC Section VIII Div. 1 code, and the second is about general engineering practice.

First question: In the ASME code a nozzle attached with an internal and external (double-sided) fillet weld, as shown in figure UG-40 (i) has a finished diameter (FD) equal to the inside diameter of the nozzle. This seems a little off to me, I know all full penetration-attached nozzles has a FD equal to the inside of the nozzle, and a single-sided fillet welded nozzle has a FD that is the outside of the nozzle. To me it seems a little odd that a double-sided fillet weld has a FD more like a full penetration weld instead of a single-sided fillet weld. Could anyone offer some explanation to this?

Capture_elkr6k.png

Second question: (This question is more to appease my curious mind) If you need to put a weep hold in a reinforcement plate [to let out moisture and air as the vessel heats up and cools down] why don’t you need a weep hole when you are attaching a nozzle with a double-sided fillet weld? Theoretically there’s a small space for air that gets trapped when you finish welding much like the reinforcement place.

Regards,
Tyler

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TylerM, tough to answer your #1 definitively, but partly, the difference is whether the nozzle is inserted thru the vessel wall or not. See UG-40, sketches (a-1), (j) and (n) for double filleted details where the nozzle ID is not FD.

Your #2, yeah it probably should but in my experience is rarely done. I have seen (not often) a drill & tap thru the hub of a slip-on flange. More rarely, the outside fillet is incomplete. The problem with this is you get rust runs from the lapped surfaces. Looks like crap on a new vessel:) A detail that can be plugged is much preferred.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

TylerM

#1 Visualize the assembly from the fit-up stage. You will find the FD is indeed equal to the nozzle ID.

#2 The theoretical air trapped inside is negligible to provide for a weep hole.

Dhurjati Sen said:
#2 The theoretical air trapped inside is negligible to provide for a weep hole.

Unless you are hydrogen service, in which case you shouldn't be using a double fillet anyway :)

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Thank you everyone for all of your help and insight. I'm glad to know that someone (although rare) has addressed the air on the inside of the fillet welds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back