ASME BPVC Section XIII - Rules for Overpressure Protection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Obturator

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2010
GB
INFORMATION

ASME BPVC Section XIII - Rules for Overpressure Protection is due to be released 21st July 2021.

This new ASME BPVC will include requirements for Pressure Relief Devices from ASME I, III, IV, VIII & X

Has anyone got any information at this time, as to what will be different to what is current practice?

Per ISO-4126, only the term Safety Valve is used regardless of application or design.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is simply a organizational change of the code documents and not a substantive change to the requirements which were formerly contained in those individual codes.

UPDATE - COMMENTS FROM A NATIONAL BOARD PRD DIRECTOR ON LINKEDIN

"The first version of ASME Section XIII was designed to be "technology neutral" and requirements from Section I, III, IV, and VIII were brought in with few changes from the previous requirements other than aligning some details that may have been slightly different in each Section. Now that the document is established, areas of improvement or updates in technology will be looked at by the Section XIII committee going forward. I believe back pressure affects will be one of the areas that will investigated to see where improvements and updates to the standard can be made."

Per ISO-4126, only the term Safety Valve is used regardless of application or design.

UPDATE NEW ASME BPVC SECTION XIII - RULES FOR OVERPRESSURE PROTECTION (JULY 2021)

This new XIII section of the BPVC was originally scheduled to replace earlier Overpressure Protection Requirements in BPVC Sections I, III, IV, & VIII.

Initial review of Section XIII informs that Overpressure Protection Requirements for ASME BPVC Sections I (Power Boilers) & III (Nuclear) will remain in new 2021 edition of I & III with the exception of their capacity testing and certification requirements, which will be in the new Section XIII.

New ASME BPVC Sections IV (Hot Water Boilers) & VIII (Unfired Pressure Vessels) 2021 editions have deleted earlier Overpressure Protection Requirements and now refer user to new Section XIII.

Since earlier Sections I, III, IV & VIII are now effectively under new Section XIII, Distinction between those earlier code sections is apparently done by the 'Certification Mark & designator' eg. 'V' (was ASME I), 'NV-1' (was ASME III), 'UV' (was ASME VIII) etc. I guess in time the industry, manufacturers and users, will settle how this is represented.

Section XIII is specific in its scope that it only applies to the PRD's from inlet to outlet (as a PRD item only), hence piping, determination of set pressures etc., remain in the 'Referenced Code'. Furthermore, should any requirement in XIII be in conflict, it is stated that the 'Referenced Code' shall take precedence.

There are other differences since the new section XIII is essentially harmonising several earlier sections. Like other BPVC Sections, new editions will be every two years.

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term 'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the equivalent ASME/API term ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back