Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME Class 2500, NPS 50, API 600 or 6D Gate Valve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

monofm4m

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2002
JP
Dear Members,

I have headache to find out manufacturers who can produce the subject valve. Anyone can advise me the manufacturer who is specialized for such an unusual class and rating valve?

What I am sure now is that the body must be forged, but not casting because of the weight of metal and potential defect in casting process.

Please note that I am to present more detailed specification of the valve such as service fluid, material, function. Could you forgive me because I am looking for the entrance, but not goal.

Best regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Monofm4m,

It looks like you are talking about a very special valve size (NPS 50). You might want to verify if you can not use a 48" valve, this size is much more common.

I however do not understand your comment regarding the forged body. To my knowledge cast steel has the same weight as forged steel. Forged materials can have defects, cast material can have defects. The trick is to make sure that you have as few as possible and that they do not have an impact on the valve integrity. As long as you do a check on the material you should be able to use both production methods.

Regards,
Terje

Thanks folks,

I would reply to the three threads as follows:

- PVBS, I will try to discuss. Right now, I, however, have not worked with them for gate valves.
- NPS50 (DN1250) is real, but not fake.
- I still have a chance to change the size to NPS48 (DN1200), which is more common size in piping industry, as mentioned by a member.
- Casting or forging? The member is correct, but I still belive that forging is more practical considering the integrity. Examinations must always enhance a certain level of quality assuarance, but forging is better rather than casting for this particular specification in principal. That's it.

If you have a free time to advise me of the potential manufacturers for this very particular specification, I will appreciate your input.

Best regards,

monofm4m

monofm4m,
maybe a little off-topic, but I try to ask you anyway (hoping this helps): is it mandatory to install a gate valve?

Wouldn't be possible to consider another valve trim/type within the gate overall dimensions (i.e. with the same face-to-face)?

Are there specific CV and/or "piggability" requirements? Is rising stem indispensable?

Thanks, 'NGL

Dear anegri and members,

Thank you for your advice.

Yes, indeed. I was also wondering to change the type of valves. The indispensable point is pressure class rating and size. The type can be negotiable.

I suppose that the key issue is full bore (no exact definition, please not ask me). So, ball valve can be alternative. Neither pig issue nor rising stem issue. Gate valve is initial specification, that is it. The purpose of valve is like emergency shutdown only, so that the most of time in service should be fully opened, no regulation function is required.

Anyhow, either gate or ball is still keeping me in finding potential manufacturers.

Best regards,

Monofm4m

Hi monofm4m,

This sizing seems to be off market. One of the problem you will face here is the valve weight, probably for transportation/installation but certainly for manufacturing.
Ball valve will the lighter than Gate valve thanks to quarter turn operation vs Trim stroke.
I'm just curious about other piping parts of your system, pipe grade/thickness, connectors (if any !),...
I would suggest to split the flow..
Another question, do you really need a fully ANSI 2500 rated valve ?

Regards.

Thanks members,

I will contact the nominated valve manufacturers by the members.

While, I reply to the questions that the valves are to be fully rated at the moment, but later on there is probably a chance to derate for the exact dp & dt.

Another comment to devide the piping system 2 or more. Yes, I think it is one of counter measure in principal. Also, I am thinking to reduce piping size with respect to the permissible flow velocity.

In any time, please keep on giving me your ideas.

Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back