Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME CODE CASE 2148; USE OF SS BAR FOR NOZZLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHNPIA2

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2002
CA
Ijust checked the expiry date for this code case, on the ASME website; it is nov/28/2003! Does anybody know if it has been renewed? I am using this case in my design and hell will break loose if it has expired on me!
Thanks for your input.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Guess what, my AIA do not know! they asked me to contact ASME. I will, and if I have news I will post them here. You are also right, the AIA near the installation site must be contacted to verify IF they accept THAT code case.

I don't see that you should have a problem with an AI as the code case was valid when you started. The only reason I could see a problem if some compelling incident had occurred that would invalidate the code case. It’s probably some internal set of aging rules that must trigger the expiration date or the code case has been incorporated into the latest edition code.
I can not see an AI not working with you as he has access to latest information and hell of a lot of technical backup at the home office. They can also get a decision or ruling a lot quicker from any jurisdictional authority than you can unless you have someone on a committee or board.

Wow! I am lucky! The date of contract award is, you guessed it, the same as the expiry date of the code case, so I am 'off the hook!'
Thanks guys, for your input.

Q= If the code case was expiring, why you did not addressed the matter to the ASME by submitting a request for renewal?
I do not know or I am not sure of what is the process but I will investigate anyways.
ER

Easy now Johnpia2. The Code Case was issued for a specific
manufacturer. The fact you may be able to use it is a bonus.

Please read the Forward and Appendix 16 of SecVIII.

You are using the code case and when you do, you know the original date of issue, knowing the date of issue you will know
(you knew) the expiration date as well. I believe is 2 years from issue. is your obligation to keep informed.
I see that you almost got burned. sorry to hear that, I hope that will never happen to me.
Some times we fall asleep at the wheel, don't we.
ER

Thanks quality manager; my AIA are still going thru inches thick paperwork, to find out abouit 2148.
Have a happy holiday season all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back