Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Code Case 2547 Flange Rigidity Exemptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

condesinc

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2003
US
As near as I can tell, code case 2547 is still active/applicable. TRUE??

I cannot find any posts anywhere less than five years old, but its not shown as killed on the ASME webpage.

Can anyone tell me what the actual exemption language is? I understand its a very short code case. The exceptions added to the code itself in 2.14 is too temperature restricitve for my application.

I am using weld lip seals and complicated geometry (shell and jacket stiffening connections. Weld lip seals are certainly not self energizing, and I think it can be aurgued they are not self-sealing (one has to explicitly weld, they do not "seal" when just clamped together). All in all, I think there is adequate room to aurgue on multiple fronts that UG-2 can apply and APP 2 does not. However, I would like to corral this totally, and the code case would help (maybe).

To add insult to injury, these flanges not only are used in vacuum applications (the jacket has the pressure, and shell pressure of only 15-20 psi is just to give a hydro level!), but they worked just fine for decades even using spiral wound gaskets without rigidity requirements.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What it says on the ASME Code Case web page is that code cases remain active until they are annulled by the applicable standards committee.

Unfortunately, I'm prohibited by my company from providing a copy of the Code Case (since they paid for it and I didn't). You'll need to go to ASME or a company like IHS to get a copy.

Want to know the do's and don'ts of Eng-Tips? Read FAQ731-376.
English not your native language? Looking for some help in getting your question across to others or understanding their answers? Go to forum1529.

EnergyMix,

could you provide a link for the webpage that informs which code cases are active and which are annuled?
or is it part of a paid for web page?

Hi Kiwi, yes that helps. I think I knew of that site, but didnt knew it could be used for this purpose too. Thanks again.

Regards

EnergyMix

Thanks, I understand your position. I cannot get Joe at ASME to return my calls or emails, not sure why. An "expert" at IHS says I have to buy the complete set of Code Cases to get just one (~$500), and they could not tell me what year set to even buy. I suppose I can try again.

Can you at least tell me the year the case is contained in (or does it get repeated/recopied every year if not annulled?) Also, is it less restrictive than 2.14 of the Code?

Thanks for your response

All:

Finally found out that indiviual code cases can be purchased from the National Board. Code case 2547 is probably the shortest in existance (one paragraph, two sentences). Basically says if successful service experience or U-2(g) is satisfied, alternatives for the design of flange rigidity are permitted. Only have to list the code case in Data Report. None of the limits of 2.14.

Condesinc

I apologize for the late reply. Been a busy day for me. Glad you were able to get a copy of just that case; I hate being so non-specific. I was looking at the latest version of the Code Cases, as that's what my company buys. I was mostly hoping that by providing some sort of answer it would kick it up so someone else would see it and give you some thing.

Want to know the do's and don'ts of Eng-Tips? Read FAQ731-376.
English not your native language? Looking for some help in getting your question across to others or understanding their answers? Go to forum1529.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back