Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME CODE STUDY STRATEGY. 6

SHARMA G

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2024
IN
Good morning to all Respected Seniors,
this is Gautam Sharma & I start my job as a fresher. when I start to study the ASME Sec.8 this is very difficult to understand. I feel first of all need to learn how to study ASME codes.
Any respected senior help & guide me how to study a ASME code.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can start by reading (1) companion guide to ASME (2) Book by Brownell & Younge (3) Book by Bednar (4) ASME PTB-4 (5)Book by Denis Moss (6) Code itself

1. It is beneficial to find mentors who are knowledgeable about the Code. Throughout my career, I have had the privilege of having three mentors who guided me through the intricacies of the Code.

2. Approach the ASME Code with a contextual mindset, Merely reading the Code without considering its broader application and practical implications would be insufficient for a thorough understanding. THE CODE IS NOT A NOVEL.

Beyond the advice already given, I also recommend asking your employer to send you on training courses.

There are many training courses out there, however. My recommendation is to look for one where the trainer/instructor is also a member of the Code Committees. That will greatly assist with the "context" that IdanPV mentioned.

When I first started getting involved with pressure vessels, I attended a week-long class put on by ASME and that was very helpful.

On the books above- Bednar is helpful, but more so for related topics rather than understanding code itself. Moss is excessively cook-bookish, so I bought it and seldom use it.

IdanPV said:
Approach the ASME Code with a contextual mindset, Merely reading the Code without considering its broader application and practical implications would be insufficient for a thorough understanding. THE CODE IS NOT A NOVEL.

Idan is absolutely right. Reading the code front to back, though not a bad idea, will not grow understanding, only familiarity. You should approach the code in context of problems needing answers.

Find somebody experienced with the code and ask them for a sample of the calculations for a vessel and try to replicate the steps they took. Better yet, start with a drawing for a certified vessel design and validate the design choices. This will give you a good understanding of the code. Do this dozens of times, hopefully picking up on the small intricacies that pop up here and there, and you'll be much more capable with pressure vessel design.

It's also invaluable to try out the calculation process for each component in the code. Do them by hand on pen and paper first, then try setting up spreadsheets to automate them in the future. Your company might have design software that automates all the calculations, and this is very useful to check your work with, but its use is reckless if you don't know what is happening in the background (and the spreadsheets are nice for when you just need a quick estimate).

Thank you for this great advice ,

I find Megyesy more useful as a lookup reference and Moss more interesting.

I also want to add the Metalic Vessel fabrication guide from Wiley press to the list of reading.

First of all, try to work at a reputable PV manufacturer. You will be able to see the real thing, not a picture from a book.
Every day you can talk to welders, inspectors, you can see how the plates are laminated, cut, pressed, painted, lifted, etc.
I know several engineers who never work in a workshop, they don't know what manufacturing is like step by step.
I have never taken a PV course.

Regards

Strong technical knowledge is what you need. Ronak Patel has mentioned several books that I already have and studied through my entire career.
Two more for your references if you can still find them.
- Pressure Vessel Systems, a user's guide to safe operations and maintenance, by Anthony Kohan
- Pressure Vessels, The ASME Code Simplified, by Robert Chuse and Stephen Eber.

Back