Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Drawing View Standard 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdrvice

Military
Sep 15, 2021
US
Are using colorized (shaded) views on drawings against ASME Drafting Standards? I work at a company who does this and I'm trying to make an argument against it and to use the standard black-n-white wireframe views.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No. Why argue against it?
If they do it anyway and it works they will remember how you were against them.
If they do it and it fails, let them take all the blame.

Wow! I just read the referenced thread and had to laugh at the talk about faxing stuff and memory being expensive enough as to be cost prohibitive for a small company. 2005 doesn't seem like that long ago, to me.

John Acosta, GDTP Senior Level
Manufacturing Engineering Tech

cdrvice,

None of the ASME standards I have here show shaded views. That does not necessarily make them non-compliant.

When you communicate with people through computers, assume the lowest common denominator in technology. This is critical if you communicate outside your organisation, and it is especially critical if you communicate with people at home.

Assume your recipient has a crappy old black and white ink-jet printer that does letter sized prints only. I do not think there is any such thing as a crappy old ink-jet printer that does letter sized only, but crappy exists, old exists, black and white exists, ink jet exists, and letter size only exists.

They might try to do photo-copying. Shaded prints deteriorate in quality as they are copied and re-copied. Photo-copying is getting less and less popular, but it might not be less popular enough. You probably are safe from fax machines.

Do not assume your recipient has a good, high resolution monitor. Test your graphics on a cheap laptop with a 1366[×]768[ ]display.

Do not assume your recipient is able, willing, and/or allowed to install viewing software like SolidWorks' Edwg viewer. Do not assume that your executable viewing file will make it past the other guy's spam filter and security. My understanding is that some corporate filters remove office documents if they contain scripting.

--
JHG

This is from ASME Y14.4m-1989 reaffirmed 2004 - "Pictorial Drawing"

3.9.1 Shading of Engineering Drawings. It is
recommended that pictorial views on engineering
drawings not be shaded. Object lines of variable
width may be used to improve the visualization quality
of the drawing and vary the emphasis on individual
details.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Thanks Ben Loosli,

That's exactly what I was looking for. Good to know that there is a standard that addresses it.

-cdrvice

Y14.4M was superseded by Y14.3.

Para. 4.4 in Y14.3-2012 (R2018):
"Pictorial views may be shaded to enhance viewing ease when shading does not negatively impact legibility. Lines of variable width may be used to improve the visualization quality of the view and vary the emphasis on individual details".

I have found over the years that although shaded views look nice, there are people that will make black and white copies and send them out. It happens.
Then, vendors and customers end up with copies that are unreadable.
So, I never create shaded views.

ctopher, CSWP
SolidWorks '19
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

We have also run into issues with plotter memory. The shaded views utilize so much memory in their definition that some plotters will only plot 1-2 to 2/3 of the drawing image before they have run out of memory and the drawing plot cannot be completed. We have seen this with inkjet and laser full size plotters.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Ben, that sounds like a basic user problem of deciding they need 30000 DPI for a 300 DPI output. I used to see this in Word files where someone in HR would take the corporate logo from the art department that was sized for a billboard and plunk that 300MB logo, scaled down, into a corner of their template and then the IT department would complain that all the Outlook folders were filling up every time HR would send a company wide note that the Holiday bonus was $5 coupon to the local grocery store.

It's simple enough to run it through any number of image programs to mash it down to a PNG of reasonable resolution.

Still, it's better to let the ones demanding this find out how badly burned they will get than try to stop them and be seen as obstructing their so-smart idea.

I don't always use shaded views or color, but they have their place.
Make choices that make the drawing clear to your audience.
Plotter file size can often be controlled by settings in the plotter tool. Even if the plotter is 600 DPI, a 300 dpi plotter file is usually just fine.

I was going to say, just before I saw the bit from Y14.3, that shaded views could potentially improve one's ability to accurately interpret a drawing, but that in most cases it would be adding unnecessary detail which could actually be detrimental do the reader.

The paper, or white background of a PDF for instance, could be thought of as the shaded surface of a part or feature which is bound by object lines. So, it depends. Shading could be used, but it should be used sparingly, and only when it improves readability.

I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat... I'm a vegetarian because I HATE PLANTS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back