Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME I Boiler with 15 PSI Pressure - Can I Use an ASME IV Safety Valve?

EMANUELE GUERRINI

Industrial
Oct 3, 2024
IT

Hi everyone,

I'm working in an Italian workshop certified under ASME Section I (Stamp S), and I need to build a boiler with a capacity of 1500 kg/h and an operating pressure of 0.98 barg (15 PSI). Since the pressure falls under the scope of ASME Section IV, I wanted to ask the following:

Can I use a safety valve certified under ASME Section IV, or does it absolutely have to be an ASME I valve, even though the pressure is low? I'm concerned about the long lead times and higher costs associated with ASME I valves.

Additionally, can I ship the safety valve separately from the boiler and have it installed later, as long as the valve meets the necessary certification requirements?

Any insights or guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c552b581-7d04-4a6a-a972-1635bbfb7df4&file=158-24_SL1500_ASME_P&I-PRELIMINARY.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See attached extract below from current ASME I (2023) Scope, particularly paragraphs PG-2.1(a) and PG-2.2.

Do also understand that a ASME I safety valve has different operational characteristics compared to a more simpler ASME IV valve, for example ASME I requires full opening at 3% overpressure.

If you're making the boiler to ASME I, your safety valve should also be made to ASME I requirements as per paragraph PG-2.2.

ASME_I_2023_Scope_Extract_dw8nhy.jpg

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term
'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the ASME/API used term ***

Back