Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME IX 2019 QW-288.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGezus

Petroleum
Apr 29, 2014
US
Good morning, everyone. I just started going through the 2019 ASME IX code book and noticed what I believe is an error. Let me know if I am missing something.

Table QW-288.1 for tube to tubesheet welding procedure qualifications
Under joints it shows QW-402.32 - A change in joint configuration.
As far as I can tell, my book does not have QW-402.32.

Does this mean that it's missing or does it mean that literally any change in joint configuration is not allowed?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Also Table QW-288.1 lists QW-403.32. When looking at this paragraph it seems to be mislabeled and should be QW-403.31

QW-403.32 is a change in P number.

Ask the code committee to be sure. It may require an interpretation or errata if it’s an error. Are you experienced with such inquiries?

I have not had any experience with asking the code committee. I assume I follow the instructions in the code. It seems there are quite a few more that I've found since posting this.

MrGezus,

I wish I could clarify the answer for you, but I agree that there appears to be errors between Table QW-288.1 and the referenced paragraphs.
In Table QW-288.1, QW-403.32 is referenced for tube thickness, but QW-403.32 is related to P-No. of the tubesheet or tubesheet cladding. I would assume that QW-403.31 or QW-403.33 would be applicable, but both of those appear to contradict one another.
In Table QW-288.1, QW-403.33 is referenced for cladding thickness, but QW-403.33 is related to tube wall thickness and diameter. There doesn't seem to be a more suited paragraph in QW-403 for cladding thickness (only QW-403.32 for P-No of the cladding)
In Table QW-288.1, QW-403.34 is referenced for P-Number, but QW-403.34 does not exist. QW-403.32 appears like it should be applicable.

I haven't checked all the referenced paragraphs in QW-288.1, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are more inconsistencies.
I would expect that ASME would post an errata notice for this, hopefully in the near future.

You could send a message to mr Sperko. See my post on his Sec IX 2019 adrticle here. In that article he descrbes there are more issues with references, e.g. QW-402.31. Maybe this one should be addressed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back