ASME IX & API 1104 Time between passes 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuPeR9981

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2018
MY
Hi All,
In API 1104, we need to record down all the time lapse between passes from root, hot , fill until cap. However for ASME IX does not mention about that.
Now my problem is if I finish the welding of root, hot and one layer of fill passes then I stop welding and let the weld bead completely cooled, after 3 days I just continue welding again until cap. Is that any problems in term of mechanical properties of materials and also the the defect that I gonna face since I let the weld cool down after complete the hot pass?
Besides , is API 1104 and ASME IX allow us to do that? If not what is the theory behind this?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In API 1104 the only time between pass that is an essential variable is between the root and the hot pass. See para 5.4.2.8. It can be allowed to cool down and left after the hot pass. Just need to make sure it is properly supported to prevent cracking, follow the WPS preheat, and properly clean any rust that may have formed if the joint was exposed to inclement weather. If it was a 6010 root I would ensure a min of a 3rd pass was completed before leaving but even this is not required by 1104. As far as defects from letting it sit the biggest concern again is proper cleaning and reestablishing preheat prior to welding.

The Code of construction will typically provide requirements for interrupted welding. In some cases, a percentage of the weld joint completion is required before interruption of welding with requirements for NDT to be done before welding resumes.

Agree with 69Firebird regarding the 3rd pass. In one case, while the root/hot pass crew duly performed its welding per API 1104 and our WPS, the weld was allowed to cool to nearly 30F before the fill crew could begin its work. Lots of cracked welds. Corrected by increased preheat and root crew making root, hot and third pass before handing off to the fill crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back