ASME IX for BS EN TANK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry k

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2021
MY
Hi All,

I may need your expertise on this matters.

Currently, I'm on the storage tank construction project. Very small tank, only 4 meters diameter. The scope is to fabricate a new tank, remove the old tank and replace with new tank. In the previous issue of the drawing, the existing tank was design with BS 2654 code and the construction code is EN 14015. The client want us to follow BS EN standard for the WPS & Welder qualifications.

The situation is that, the company I worked at now only have ASME IX WPS. And their ASME IX WPS is very general compared to BS EN Standard (e.g. Type of weld; fillet weld for fillet weld only, butt weld for butt weld only). But in the contract requirement stated that the welders qualifications shall accordance to the ASME IX. But the Client Inspection team keep saying refer to the code, must comply to the code.

I've tried to argue. As per ISO 15614-1:2017 have mentioned in the introduction there is two level of welding procedure given. They are designated by level 1 and level 2. Level 1 is based on requirements of ASME Section IX and level 2 is based on the previous issues of ISO 15614. But in the end, the argument still back to the essential variables requirements and I'm out of words.

The project have started, and all the materials cutting are in progress. But we cannot do the assembly due to this matters. Is there anyway I can bring in ASME IX WPS for this project ?.

Thank you.
Jerry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming the fabrication of the new tank is done according to EN 14015:

EN 14015 refers to EN ISO 15614-1. If no level is specified, it should be L2.
All deviations from that should be authorised by your client.

If the above assumption is not valid, the client's specifications should be followed. If there is no spec, it means they do not care about quality management and you can basically do whatever you want.
To the best of my knowledge, the EN 14015 is not required by law, and so isn't mandatory. Check however your local regulations to see if this is true for your location, and if the tank doesn't fall under any other mandatory regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back