Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME IX - FORM QW-483 Suggested format for PQR

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdavidchris

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2015
MY
For the "FORM QW-483 SUGGESTED FORMAT FOR PROCEDURE QUALIFICATION RECORDS PQR", I've had a disagreement with our client / owners during the WPS/PQR review.
Towards the end of the suggested format where it says "Tests Conducted by _____XXXXXXXXXXXX______"; are we supposed to fill in the name of
(1) PIC/QC Engineer/Main Overseer of the PQR from the 'Organization' company (the one who decided on the test coupon size, thickness, electrode, current, amp, WPS, etc. (often our/Organization QC Manager or Senior QC Engineer);
OR
(2) the Person who conducted the Mechanical Testing (Bend, Tensile, macro, hardness, etc.). For (2), the Testing is often done by multiple technicians from 1 testing laboratory, or a different laboratory for NDT (if conducted),or different laboratory for special test (outside the ASME IX testing requirements). So, there often isn't a specific singular person for all the NDT and Destructive testing.

What is supposed to be filled there?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=468be646-251b-49f0-9422-89e319018c40&file=Test_conducted_by.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I always attach everyone qualifications records.
I put down who generated the test report, but for each test the person responsible is listed.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

The name(s) of the laboratory/laboratories who conducted the Mechanical Testing shall be stated on this line corresponding to the laboratory test number(s) in the same line. If there is not enough space for this, adapt the form or refer to an appendix where all laboratories are listed with the test number or refer direct to laboratories form shown the acceptance of the tests results of the stamp holder by signature and date.

On the line Welding Supervised must stated the name of person who is qualified and designated according to QG-106.

On the last line of this form the representative of the organization (Stamp holder) has to certified the PQR and take therefore the responsibility for completeness and correctness of all conducted tests.

Please note this a "SUGGESTED FORMAT" and and no one, including the inspector or client, can require the use of this form. You can use any form as long as all data and information required in QW-200.2 is included.
In QW-200.2(a) it is only mentioned "It also contains the test results of the tested specimens" and nothing more. This means that the traceability of the tests must be guaranteed in a way that you can choose for yourself.

Regards - Juergen

@fleischfresser, nice reply. One observation though. If you notice, there is no 'welding supervised by' column on the PQR form (it is there on WPQ forms). This is strange.

Over past three years, Sec IX has strenuously communicated that both PQR and WPQ coupons must be made under the full supervision and control of the qualifying organization. So it makes a lot of sense to have the mention of person who did this role on the WPQ form. But the fact that this column is missing on QW-483 (PQR form) even on the 2023 edition is a little strange to me.

But like you said, the form is a recommended one. An organization can comply with Sec IX (including QG-106) without expressly specifying the supervising person's name on the PQR. Just my 2 cents.

Regards
Ethan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back