Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME IX PWHT Cycles 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JXWu

Petroleum
Oct 26, 2015
TH
Good afternoon.

Reference: ASME Section IX and API 650
Welding Process: SMAW

My client required the PQR to be qualified with a minimum of 3 PWHT cycles.
The material to be welded is 25 mm thick and the PWHT holding is 1 hour.
So I PWHT the PQR coupon for 6 hours in one heat. That is, heating it up to the holding temperature, hold for 6 hours before cooling down.
But my client rejected the PQR saying that it was not 3 cycles because they expected to see 3 separate heating, holding and cooling.

Is there any interpretation on QW-407 that say the number of times for heating and cooling is not necessary.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wording is key. Your customer states 3 PWHT cycles. QW-407.2 allows "the PWHT total time at temp to be applied in one heating cycle"...but this is not what your customer has asked for.

What you have done is very common in the industry. If your client wants it done a particular way, it should be spelled out exactly the way they want it in the job contract.

This interpretation is close to what you need to show your client.

Standard Designation: BPV Section IX
Edition/Addenda: 2013
Para./Fig./Table No: QW-407.2
Subject Description: SC IX; QW-407.2
Date Issued: 12/01/2014
Record Number: 14-2010
Interpretation Number : IX-15-22
Question(s) and Reply(ies):
Background: A PQR is completed with PWHT at 625ºC for 4 hours holding time where supplementary essential variable QW-407.2 applies.

Question (1): For a PQR, may PWHT at 625°C for 4 hours total holding time be completed in either a single cycle of 4 hours or in 2 cycles of 2 hours holding time?

Reply (1): Yes.

Question (2): Is the WPS qualified to complete an initial weld with PWHT at 625°C for 2 hours holding time followed by 1 repair weld completed on the weld with a PWHT holding time after the weld repair of 2 hours at 625ºC resulting in a total PWHT holding time of 4 hours?

Reply (2): Yes.

The devil is in the details; she also wears prada.

Thanks to everybody for the input and the reference to the code interpretation.
Now my client has accepted my PQR as it is.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back