Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME IX QW-403.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agnewt

Mechanical
Sep 17, 2008
CA
I have a PQR with base metal P1Gr2 to P1Gr2 without impact testing (specifically, SA-516 GR.70 welded to itself).

The corresponding WPS is for base metals P1Gr1,2&3 to P1Gr1,2&3.

I believe the additions of groups 1 and 3 on the WPS are a result of QW-403.5

Is this corrrect? Please Advise. Thank You.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you ask if the group numbers on this WPS are being added as a result of QW403.5, I would say not, because, QW403.5 is a supplementary variable and as such is not applicable for a non-impact qualified WPS.
To clarify further, on a WPS, the Group Numbers only come into play when impact testing is required. Your WPS could simply provide the P number, in this case P1, without specifically listing any group numbers. There's nothing wrong with listing group numbers, but, in this case it isn't required per QW403.5.

weldtek;
I probably should have better explained my correct statement. I focused on the entire wording of the note. In this case, from a broad perspective the second paragraph implies to me that for ferrous materials when a P-No is qualified to itself and other P-No, the Group numbers come along with it. The third paragraph in this note states when impact testing is required this does not apply.

Thank you for the timely responses. What i have gathered from your posts is that since impact testing was not required, Group No. becomes a non-essential variable and can therefore be changed without the need for requalification.

So it would follow that my WPS isn't necessarily 'wrong' for listing Group No. 1,2&3 but this WPS would still not allow me to weld any P1Gr4 metals, and therefore a more 'accurate' WPS would display something along the lines of "All", "N/A" or simply leave the space blank altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back