Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME IX Weld Procedure Qualification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechcat

Mechanical
Oct 10, 2001
GB
If I am qualified to weld up to 2” thick plate, does this allow me to weld 4” thick plate if I weld from both sides using a double ‘V’ weld ?
Also would I be able to use 2 processes i.e. sub arc outside manual inside even though I am only qualified for each process individually.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I am qualified to weld up to 2" thick plate, does this allow me to weld 4" thick plate if I weld from both sides using a double 'V' weld ?

You need to provide more information. What does your WPS state for maximum base metal thickness? Are you talking about qualified "you" as a welder or a procedure?

Also would I be able to use 2 processes i.e. sub arc outside manual inside even though I am only qualified for each process individually.

Yes, if the WPS supports both processes and the welder is qualified to use both processes under essential variables listed in ASME Section IX.

Hi Metengr,
Please excuse me, What I am trying to get at is if I have a procedure that is qualified using a single V (>) butt weld (welded from one side) would that allow me to weld double the thickness if I use a double V (><) butt weld and weld from both sides.
With regards the second question, each WPS only supports one process, i.e. one WPS & one welder qualified for sub arc, another WPS & welder qualified for manual welding.
Thanks

Please excuse me, What I am trying to get at is if I have a procedure that is qualified using a single V (>) butt weld (welded from one side) would that allow me to weld double the thickness if I use a double V (><) butt weld and weld from both sides.

No. If the currnet procedure limits the base metal thickness for a weld joint (single or double vee by design) you cannot simply double the thickness by treating the double-vee as two separate weld joints.

Thanks for that Metengr,
With regards the second question, if both processes are qualified individually for the total joint thickness, do I need to re-qualify for the two processes in combination.

mechcat;
No. You can write a new WPS using the Procedure Qualification Records from each process qualified above to support a single WPS for this joint thickness and base material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back