Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME IX - WPS FOR P8, BUT TEST ON P1 matl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPVN

Mechanical
Mar 27, 2008
CA
Hi,
Could anybody will guide me, that can i qualify welder by using Mild Steel pipe (P1)-Test Piece, but want to use Stanless Steel(P8) WPS ?
Pls. Guide me ASAP.
Thanks
BPVN

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See. QW-423 Alternate Base Materials for Welder Qualification

Another thing to consider is that if you are certifiying the welder for GTAW, there is NO need to use SS filler metal and thus the SS WPS. The F Numbers for SS filler metal and Carbon Steel Filler metal are the same.

If you are using SMAW, then that is not the case.

If the welder is already qualified with carbon, just do a test with backing for the SMAW if you have backing rings available.

In addition, you can machine grooves into pipe and use the welding of that groove for the performance test. This is allowed by code.

Gerald Austin
Iuka, Mississippi

and.... the reason is because welder qualification or performance is intended to demonstrate that the welder can deposit a sound weld using a specific process, and not necessarily qualify a weld procedure or to use a specific weld procedure.

Section IX Question

Hi All

I am trying to find the correct paragraph to calculate the minimum base metal thickness for OFW as well as ESW in Section IX of the code book. Could anyone point me in the correct direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back