Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobosk

Mechanical
Jul 23, 2020
PL
I have some thoughts, Does QW 202.4 only apply to PQR qualification on two different material thicknesses? because if so, the standard is a bit messed up. Performs PQR on P. No. 8 (additional material not valid) let's see 2 cases:
1- Performs connector no. 1 (photo). 10 mm sheet + 10 mm sheet. Which allows me to make a joint on a material based on table QW-451.1 from 1.5-20 mm. So I can make a joint, e.g. 1.5 mm sheet + 20 mm sheet. The scope of both materials is preserved.
2- Performs connector no. 2 (photo). 10 mm sheet + 11 mm sheet is acc. To QW-451.1 the range is as follows. I (10): 1.5-20 and II (11): 5-22. But I go to QW 202.4 where there is a record that by making such a joint, the second material is qualified without limit. So I can make a joint 1.5 mm sheet + 300 mm sheets.

Why make a joint of the same thickness as you can do the second case and we have an increased range by adding only a different sheet thickness, e.g. by 1 mm.

Please verify if I am wrong.

PS. I use google translator so sorry for not clear content.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1dbad54c-4e97-494f-8208-1ff45a3487d9&file=z?acze_ASME.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In case 1, 10mm to 10mm, you could weld also 1.5 mm sheet + 300 mm sheets. Reread QW-202.4. First sentence very important.

For stainless and the other alloys listed it is inconsequential to weld against a thicker piece per theory, and the code reflects this. The weld size is the critical value, you can only weld up to 20mm thick weld metal (if you welded full thickness on PQR).

It is better to show the photo and your PQR recorded.
In case of combination above 2 PQRs, the range of qualification shall determine in QW-451.
Accordance to QW-200.4, you may combine more PQR in the WPS. We hope that help you more.

sincerely yours,
The WeldingInspections.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back