Status
Not open for further replies.

B.Beykaee

Mechanical
Sep 2, 2020
GB
hello every body
I have a problem with my owner.
there is a 50 MM thick disk, which is a pressure boundary component (pressure part), which is subjected to 52 bar test pressure, the temp. is 250 c, and the fluid is NH3+H2S+H20+CO2, the material of the disk was selected AISI 304, for some reason we want to use AISI 301 in lieu of AISI 304. but the owner said that this material in this temperature and pressure can not use instead of AISI 304, and it is not an ASME material for pressure parts.
question 1:
where i can find ASME materials in sec8?
question 2:
the strength of 301 is 33% better than 304 for our work. but the owner focus on the corrosion problem in this press and temp. is there any justification to satisfy the owner?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Typical ASME material is listed in the ASME Section II.

The material selection is beaded on the P & T, allowable strength, as well as the corrosion allowance for the application. If not sure, should consult with the Material SME for the substitution of 304SS with 301SS.

Sec II, Part D 2017 Ed. Table 1A lists SA-240-301 (plate), permitted for Sec VIII, Div 1 to 800 F. Doesn't seem to be listed in 2A. (not permitted for Div 2).

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

question 2

Compare the Cr & Ni content of both the SS. The one with the higher percentage is more corrosion resistant. If they are same, then corrosion resistance is similar.

DHURJATI SEN

thnks every body
the Cr content of 304 is more than 301. so 304 is better. i know. but how can i say to them that 301 pass their condition?

The Owner/Purchaser/User is responsible for the material selection for the service (corrosion) conditions. I certainly would not permit the deviation, which for you is only a lower cost consideration. 304 is readily available anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back