Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME NCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVG1

Mechanical
Sep 6, 2012
US
Hi, we are working on our QC Manual and are discussing the Non-Conformity section. The issue we are having is when are we required to write a NCR. We understand that it is when the vessel does not comply with Section VIII, as some argue it doesn't comply when it fails x-ray, others say it does comply because we are fixing it. In general though we are having a tough time agreeing on when exactly we should write them and when we are not required to. Can anyone shed more light on this subject or experience with their AI on what you agreed on?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From my experience, the nonconformance portion of your Quality Manual should contain how a nonconformance is documented (use a form for this) and how it is dispositioned.
It does not matter the severity or type of nonconformance, what matters to the audit team is how it is documented and how it is resolved.

So, provide a brief section in your Manual as to how nonconformances will be documented, tracked and resolved. Don't focus on the type of nonconformance or attempt to list them because this will get you into audit trouble.

Ok, and we agree on that as well, I guess our real question is then: When should we be writing an ASME NCR? We understand they should be written when the vessel doesn't comply with code, but specificly when is that? When the vessel fails xray, when a head cracks during forming, when the long seams aren't staggered 5 times the thickness?

PVG1, a potential non-conformance is any condition that does not comply with Code or contract documents, such as engineering drawings, order specfications and so forth. As to when you should write an NCR, consider this:

The company I work for now is very formal about NCR's and any detected non-conforming condition is potentially subject to the NCR process. Even if it can be easily repaired. Even if customer approval is not required.

A previous company took a less formal approach. A formal NCR was only generated if the work could not be restored to a compliant condition. In this case, of course, customer approval was required.

In my experience, the latter approach is the more preferable. All other things being equal, the two approaches presumably provide work of the same quality. The former approach creates a lot of work for a lot of people. You would not call it especially value added.

Of course the nature of your organization will probably to some extent influence which way you lean, and it may be that something between the extremes suits.

Regards,

Mike

When the vessel fails xray, when a head cracks during forming, when the long seams aren't staggered 5 times the thickness?

Yes and yes. In my past life I was a Purchaser of pressure retaining equipment. You better believe I wanted all nonconformances documented and dispositioned pertaining to our equipment purchase. This was clearly stated in our contract documents. As I told you, a nonconformance program should describe how to document (ANY NONCONFORMANCE), track and resolve. You don't want a Purchaser like me to think your hiding something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back