Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Non Code Vessel repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheriffbill

Petroleum
Jul 21, 2020
US
I have a question on requirements for non code vessel repairs. It was always my understanding that any non code vessel repairs did not require an "R" stamp. I work on home delivery trucks/tanks that deliver oil to peoples homes. My customer has been told (by my competition) that I must have an "R" stamp to do so. I have been told by the manufacturer that it is not required as long as I have my CT# to do testing and repairs I am good. My customer is requiring documentation of this. Can anyone help me with where I might find the info so I may forward this to my customer? I would appreciate any help I could get on this. Please note: I have held my "R" & "U" stamp in the past but never used them to do repairs so didn't renew them.

Thanks for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your competitor obviously has R Stamp authorization and is trying to discredit you. Your best bet is to get your manufacturer to advise you. The ASME Code only requires the R Stamp only if the vessel originally had a stamp. Maybe that's your best approach. Tell your customer that the original equipment did not require such a stamp for construction and subsequently a repair stamp cannot be done. Add that he would be paying for something which is essentially worthless as it was not an original requirement.

Per ISO-4126, only the term Safety Valve is used regardless of application or design.

To The Orburator, I don't think you were totally accurate with your response. The ASME boiler & Pressure vessel code does not actually REQUIRE an R stamp for repairs. The ASME BPV Code is for new construction, not in service or repair work (with a small few exceptions, i.e. Section XII). It is the regulators that hold jurisdiction over the vessel that set the repair requirements. Most stationary vessels come under the jurisdiction of the State or municipality where the vessel is located. There Are other cases where the US DOT has jurisdiction, for example propane tanks and trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back