Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME - oval manhole 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Google "Elliptical manway" and you should pull up some suppliers. One: There are certain standard sizes and thicknesses available, certain standard necks, etc.
From your detail, it is not clear if that is an elliptical manway or a circular manway that is visually distorted in the image. You can build a circular manway that way, you just can't remove the cover through the opening- and that detail shows an internal hinge/davit, which would be typical in that case.

I do not want to nitpick but I could not help it when I noticed that when using to top drawing as a reference, the front drawing is upside down while the right side drawing is correct.

Although to some it is obvious.... I am gonna say it anyway

Teeny, tiny eliptical manways are mostly used in very small diameter pressure equipment. (Think boiler steam drums and mud drums)... They are only suitable for very thin and flexible temporary contractors

Geometry and code requirements dictates that only a tiny eliptical manway will be suitable.

All of the tubby 50+ year old guys in the maintenance department prefer the 30" diameter, circlar units ... with extra padding

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

I've been looking at various vessel drawings for fifteen+ years and I have yet to see any standard code that covers oval shell manways. The ones I've seen have been fully custom and usually older vessels.

A little explanation:
it is a tank for sparkling wine,
and the user has to open the hatch frequently,
so a flange with a blind cover and a lot of screws is not user friendly

For tanks according to PED, I use this type of door.

There are several manufacturers of quick-opening hatches that might be suitable as well, if that's what you need.
For a wine tank, normal pressure-vessel parts may be overkill. Also look for items with higher surface finish for food-grade usage.

I recall when working for a few months at a refinery that the OSHA guidelines had mandated that the minimum width of a "manway" be elongated to now allow women to pass thru a "manway" , as women now work at facilities that have pressure vessels. I also had been at a plant that had a large worker get stuck in the hot "mud drum" manway and we had to grease him down and spray cool the drum to extricate him.

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back