ASME P Numb SA36 vs CSA G20.1 44W

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedeng

Materials
Mar 23, 2005
CA
Hi
I did a procedure qualification, here in Canada, P1-P1.
I used CSA G20.1 44W (low carbon steel) plate for my RMS.
The inspector said that 44W is not a P1 as ASME code. My metallurgical consultant said yes (he said to me to use that one).

1- Is there a place in the code where 44W is identified and accepted as a P1 material by ASME ? In my 2001 code, I don't find anything about this material (is it because it's canadian spec?)

2- If not, is it not the same as SA36 ? If it is the case, I'll change the material used on RMS and put SA36.

I can't argu anymore with this guy, he is so unskilled!!
(idiot question, take argu on unnecessary things, et...)

Thanks for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

answer of question no.1:
according to ASME Sec IX QW-422 Bottom of page no 110 this material(SA CSA G40.21 G 44W) have p no 1.
answer of question no.2:
the weld ability of SA36 is same but only engineering designer decide about alternative of this material according to stress analyse.

This might help some... API-650 recognizes the use of these Canadian grade of steel for tank construction. It also states that it is considered to be an ASME P1 material for purposes of PQR/WPS in ASME IX. Group numbers are also assigned based on tensile strength.

Steve Braune
Tank Industry Consultants

What Edition of ASME are you using? SA/CSA-G40.21 Gr.44W is in the 2001Ed/2003Addenda of Section IX on page 110. I am not sure where it is in the 2004 Edition. I have to wait till I get home to check later.
Does the MTR for the material in question meet the requirements of the specification to which it was made? ie...SA/CSA-G40.21 Gr.44W ......Including the marking requirements? I have found many times that the material cert was lacking or the material itself was improperly marked (not in accordance with the Material Spec.)and had to reject based solely on material cert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back