Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME PCC-1 Appendix O Calculations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks!

It will be quite a while before my company "approves" the new Build for official use so I created my own worksheet (still in progress). I am glad I started to create the worksheet. Compress just had input boxes for the maximum permissible bolt stress prior to flange damage (Sfmax)and single flange rotation (Theta-fmax). The Compress user needs to calculate Sfmax using the equations in WRC 538 or find out through FEA. Same thing with flange rotation which I tried calculating using EN 1591-1. Do you know if ASME has guidelines for calculating flange rotation?

@doct9960

With regards to calculating rotation of flange, the rigidity factor formula in ASME VIII Table 2-14 can be modified to do just this. By simply removing the K factor the result will be rotation in degrees.

So in essence, ASME VIII rigidity limits rotation on integral flanges to 0.3 degrees and rotation on loose-type flanges to 0.2 degrees. This is obviously based on allowable bolt stress however and in the real world the rotation will be higher than this.

For PCC-1 Appendix O, we typically limit flange rotation to 1 degree for spiral wound (and similar materials).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back