Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME PTC10-1997 / API 617

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaracasEC

Mechanical
Aug 18, 2011
PH
Hi Guys,
My company will send me next week to witness the performance testing/mechanical running test of our new multistage centrifugal compressor (Charge Gas Compressor, Tertiary Refrigerant Compressor, Hydrogen/Methane Compressor) for our Ethylene Cracker Project. This is my first time to witness such critical equipments. As per project specification, performance testing will be ASME PTC10-1997 and mechanical running test will be API 617. Should you have any experience that i may maximize the witness test, please share...thanks in advance...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it a type 1 or 2 test? If type 2, I would suggest that you obtain from the supplier as a minimum the performance curve they are testing to using the test gas. Generally the supplier should have calculated the curve using this test gas so as to closely match the performance if using your on-site gas (within acceptable tolernaces as per ASME PTC10).

Overall, I would try and get someone with extensive experience to accompany you because there is a lot riding on getting this right given the cost involved in getting it wrong if it doesn't perform as it should on-site.

Hi Sir, this will be a type 2 test. Data sheets, compressor performance test procedure, predicted curve, mechanical and running test procedure which are already approved procedures are already available. With me is our EPC experienced engineer. Besides the critical parameters of ASME PTC 10 and API 617 to look during the test, are there still that i have to read?

to supplement centeng11, if you have the data sheets, the predicted performance curves, contractual test specs, test procedure, etc., then yes, you should review the information before arriving at the test facility.

the OEM, typically, will collect the data and generate the data reduction for you and allow you to review the data while at the test facility. DO conduct an analysis yourself using actual operating data at test site to ensure the data reduction/analysis is correct (rarely this occurs, but you need to be sure).

be sure that the data reduction/actual performance of the compressor meets the contractual requirements, data sheets, etc.

it easy to do . . . that is what a pocket calculator is for . . .

good luck and have fun! work with your mentor!
-pmover

Thank you very much pmover. The documents you mentioned are available already and also i already performed review,thanks for reminding me to have the data reduction do myself...though a little tense, i'm sure this will give me a better experience... what a test like for these crictical equipments..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back