Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Requirement for Resin Testing (Mandatory Appendix 8) for Composite Pressure Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

komposites

Materials
Nov 28, 2012
I'm looking over the ASME BPVC, Mandatory Appendix 8 for Class 3, Gas Hydrogen Vessels (Carbon Fiber Pressure Vessel with Plastic Liners).

I have a question on the epoxy resin requirements.
8-300.4.1b (RESINS SYSTEM-MATERIAL REQUIREMENTS) states that "resin supplier shall CERTIFY, for each batch shipped, the value and limits required by the specification of the properties identified in Table 8-300.4.1-1 (Basically, viscosity, epoxide equivalent, and specific gravity).

My questions are:
1) Do most ASME Inspectors consider the word "CERTIFY" the same as (a) "Test every time for each batch" or (b) "Test at a regular frequency as chosen by the resin manufacturer, and just provide a piece a paper that says it is CERTIFIED without testing it for every batch". This also applies to the entirety of ASME Code when it says "certify". I want to be certain, so I hope the answer will come from an ASME inspector or someone that deals with inspectors routinely for this type of vessel.

2) Can you use the epoxide equivalent provided by the base resin manufacturer (Dow, GE, BASF, Dupont, etc), then adjust the wt% appropriately based on added mass of other additives or fillers used to modify the epoxy?? It seems wasteful to repeat the same test that was already performed on the BASE RESIN. I don't feel that the epoxide equivalent would change.

-K

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hope I get a hit this time. In summary: I am hoping that someone can explain what "certify" means in context of ASME definition and what I posted above. Secondly, can I use the resin manufacturer's epoxy equivalent wt% to "certify" to ASME? Any reply would be appreciated.

This sounds like a good question to ask your AI. I would be more inclined to say the "test every batch" but I take those "pieces of papers" as actually meaning something when you supply them.

Want to know the do's and don'ts of Eng-Tips? Read FAQ731-376.
English not your native language? Looking for some help in getting your question across to others or understanding their answers? Go to forum1529.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back