Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME Sec VIII Div 1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

frog5150

Industrial
Oct 4, 2004
US
I would like some advise on how to staderdize my product line to ASME Sec VIII Div I. Currently it is very expensive to do individual units as they come through. It has not been cost effective nor competitive. Any Ideas would be a great help.

Shawn
Product Manager

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shawn;
Please don't be insulted, but you are in over your head in terms of pressure vessel design/fabrication, if you need to ask this question.

It sounds like you want to apply some principles of "mass production" to fabrication of pressure vessels. Or at least not to have to reinvent the wheel each time a new vessel is built in the shop.

This sounds like what each vessel fabricator strives to do to minimize their costs for engineering, fabrication, materials, stock parts, etc. I'm not certain that this is the best forum to get comments about these issues (although the ASME Code forum will certainly draw people with an interest in these vessels). I would try hanging out in the Industrial/Manufacturing Engineers forums, Construction Management forums, etc.

FWIW (for what it's worth)

frog5150, standardizing the details of construction as required by ASME Code is one thing and fairly easily done.

Standardizing the VESSEL DESIGN is another thing altogether and depends on the market you're in and so forth. Most of the features that perform the intended function are not subject to Code rules. For example small package lube oil coolers are widely standardized, while process heat exchangers are generally specific to a plant, process etc. Tube layout, diameter, length, materials, general flow and baffle arrangement, nozzle diameters and arrangement, none of these thing is specified by Code.

I am more familiar with S & T exchangers, but I'm sure the same type of things could be said of other vessels.

What is your product line?

Regards,

Mike

Mike,

Our product line is cyclonic filters(desanders)solids from liquid. Most of our problem comes in the way of temprature and pressure as these can change from application to application. The internal engineering is never compramised as this would change the fluid dynamics of the units. We do however have standard product that we mass produce. This is the product that we are trying address as some manufacture seem to be able to do this at fairly low cost. Much lower than the custom units produced.

Thanks for the info.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back