Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Sec VIII Pressure vessel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebu707

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2013
AE
Is it possible to fabricate an ASME Sec VIII Pressure vessel Manhole flange in plate material ASTM A240 Gr. 316L? Guys Pls respond immediately, im in midst to Close a Concession Request, thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is nothing in B16.5 or Section VIII, Div 1 that prohibits placing an opening in a blind flange as long as reinforcement calculations are performed.

Nebu707, as you can see from other posts nobody really knows what you are doing. Is the part in question a blind flange, hub flange, studding outlet or something else altogether? Is it B16.5 pattern or custom design?

In my post I was referring to the limitations in using plate for hubbed flanges. For ring flanges (no hub) and blinds use of plate is fine.

Regards,

Mike

B16.5, Section 5.1 states "Materials required for flanges and flanged fittings are listed in Table 1A with the restriction that plate materials shall be used only for blind flanges and reducing flanges without hubs."

I have a related question to ask The Forum. If this was a custom flange (not B16.5), then couldn't the flange be built from a larger selection of materials per ASME Section VIII and section II, as opposed to the limited listing in B16.5??? For example, the flange could be fabricated from various metal plate, forged parts, or bar?? It seems like a double standard. Am I correct in my thinking that this justified by the fact that ASME VIII requires the custom design of flanges/nozzles be analyzed for stresses?

komposites: You are correct that flange designed to ASME VIII-1 can use a greater variety of materials/configurations than those listed in B16.5. However, there are still restrictions on materials and product forms (forging, plate, etc). See VIII-1 Appendix 2 para. 2-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back