Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Sec8 Div2 or API 6A 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryansonnier

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2011
US
Our company manufactures valves for the oil and gas industry. Our valves usually don't fall into the normal api valve listings as these are throttle valves 5 ksi range using dual orifice discs to control flow (think willis or baker forum or taylor throttle valve). We are gearing up for ISO certification and are formalizing our design process for future products. I would like to put a design procedure together to make sure we don't miss anything and to cross our T's and dot our I's. Is there an API design spec (is it 6A) that would be a solid basis or does AMSE Sec. 8 Div 2 work better?

Is there another design spec that would work better than those for this purpose. Currently our customers don't require one spec or the other. We are just getting into the international market and for the most part they just require a spec and aren't picky as to which one be it ISO/API/ASME etc...

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

(i will also post this in the api forum as well)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

API 6A permits using ASME Section VIII, Division 2 or Division 3. For your pressure rating, Division 2makes the most sense.

thank you.

I'm doing a valve design analysis and i have an area at an intersecting bore where the von mises is exceding the Pl+Pb <= Spl or 1.5 allowable. I think this area is a secondary stress area that would justify a a larger allowable stress like 2Sa or Sps but i'm a little fuzzy on section Viii div 2's requirement here.

edit: this should probably be a separate question. please feel free to disregard unless you are bored. I'll repost tomorrow on a new post.

TGS4 - Thank you. Thats section pointed me toward the limit load analysis which might be just what the doctor ordered. As in prototyping we are consistently hydrotesting this part to 1.5 working pressure. I'm sure the analysis will reflect the soundness of the part. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back