ASME Sect. 8 Div.1 thread-o-let and 1/2" pipe wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadapple

Mechanical
Apr 13, 2006
US
Question:

I am doing a demonstration vessel with 8" sch 80 pipe (1/2" wall), a 8" pipe cap and flange at opposite ends. I intend on putting a thread-o-let on the side of the vessel.

I have all my materials on hand and now I see in my design calc's that UW-16 (3)(a)(1) is limiting me to 3/8" maximum vessel wall.

I can't find where any additional calc's can be done to make this work. Can someone point me in the right direction? Or am I just plain hosed?

roadapple

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure of the groove dimension on the threadolet, but it seems that you might fall more into the domain of UW-16(f)(4) - Fig UW-16.1 sketch (bb)?

jt

I don't believe thread-o-lets are permitted in vessel fabrication since these are not ASME components. They are made to MSS SP-97.

I've only ever seen couplings used for small bore connections as recommended by vesselfab.

I was hoping for an outside fillet weld with the thread-o-let- but am guessing that the moment with the thicker plate is the reason they limit the thickness of the vessel.

I have room to weld a coupling in the arrangement shown in UW-16.1 (i) - because my pipe is 8.625 od the curvature makes saddling the branch a real problem. I am trying to get away from machining an expensive part just to junk it at the end of the review.

cut a hole in the center of head. there will not be any machining for curvature.

the opening will be flat.

then stick what ever you want to weld in and use a full penetration weld.

Thread-O-Lets are not banned in Section VIII, but there is no figure in UW-16 that is like a TOL. Also, with the groove built in to the TOL producing a fillet leg is not practical. Use a coupling, and save the TOL for B31.1 work.

The calculations for proving out the weld strength are shown in examples in Section VIII, Appendix L-7, but you will be much happier using the coupling with a standard UW-16 figure.

Your AIA should have advised you on what components to use for the demonstration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back