Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Section 8 DIV 1 13-10 Obround Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am trying to design an obround nozzle for a heater treater, so I'll also need to understand the weld to the head, the weld to the vessel flange, sizing the vessel flange, the blind flange, and sizing the blind flange. If anyone has any literature, I'd appreciate it. I know you can run FEA as well and use some DIV II stuff, but my first go at it is kinda rough. A step by step would be cool. I have the use of Compress 8200 as well, but it doesn't really understand obround nozzles directly (maybe there is some manipulation).

swiftworks, obround and other non-circular shaped flanges may be designed (preferably as loose flanges) per Apx 2 methods paying attention to proper uses of area and perimeter. Not familiar with BS5500, no opinion there.

IdanPV has pointed out the way for your original query, has to do with tensile and compressive stresses. Weld sizing is addressed in Part UW. A blind may be designed per UG-34.

This is a complicated design you are undertaking. A comprehensive understanding of Sec VIII, Div 1 is needed. There is no step-by-step. Some mentoring by your organization is essiential.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back