Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME Section IX WPS Thickness Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soln

Civil/Environmental
Mar 9, 2010
US
I'm confused by the ASME IX, 403.2, "the max thickness qualified is the thickness of the coupon", and 403.6, "the minimum base metal is T/2 when T<1/4".. Compare that to the table 451.2, where a coupon over 3/8 is qualified for thickness range from 3/16 - 2T.

I want to develop a WPS that ranges from 1/8 - 2". I'm thinking of using a coupon <1/4, and a 1" coupon. Does that cover my range? Am I missing a coupon between 1/2" and 1" for that range thickness? Or, if we qualify the min and max does that cover us?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

QW-403.6 pertains to minimum thickness when impact qualification is invoked. Do you require impact qualification?

If no impact qualification is required, what you propose will work for the BM thickness range.

QW-451.1

1/16" to 3/8" coupon thickness (T) qualifies for 1/16" to 2T
1" coupon thickness (T) qualified from 3/16" to 2T

so you have overlap

Thanks for getting back to me.

Where does it specify that 403.6 is relative to impact testing? I'm sure it's right there, I just can't see it.

I do require impact testing. Is section 403 related to impact testing? Because I have impact testing, does the combination of 403.2, and 403.6 mean I have gaps?

Thanks again for your help- I was up past midnight reading the code last night trying to find something that clears this up for me.

See the essential variable tables for each welding process. The essential variables apply to every WPS/PQR, and the supplementary essential variables only when impact testing is required.

I see... the thickness limits, indicated as a supplementary variable in Table 255 reference 403.6. The supplementary variable come into play when impact testing is required. Otherwise the qualified ranges are taken from Tables 451.

Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back