ASME Section VIII, Div-1 Pressure vessel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kash2013

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2013
US
Hello All,

I have question regarding pressure vessel. It is already manufactured with ASME Section VIII, Div-1 Certification but not U stamp.
1. If project site requires U stamp, can I use that pressure vessel ?
2. If it has ASME certification, would it be possible to obtain U stamp for already manufactured pressure vessel?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The U-stamp is supposed to be included for the completion of the ASMW certification. If the Manufacturer is an approved ASME Pressure vessel fabricator, he should provide you an U-stamp Cert.
You may still ask a third party inspect the vessel, and provide an U-stamp if qualified per ASME Code.

See this which helps explain a bit more what U stamp actually means. It's not clear from your OP if the independent third party was involved or not. If there wasn't inspection of manufacturing then it might be difficult to get a U stamp.
So IMHO,
1) No
2) Unclear what this "certification" is. Maybe yes, maybe no. You will need to ask your third party inspector.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

kpandya2013. so you are saying it has the "ASME" Certification Mark (Fig UG-116) but is only lacking the "U" stamp? If so, it may be possible to add it.

Is the vessel still at the manufacturer? Has it been in service? Is all the relevant paperwork, MTRs, weld procedures & qualifications, inspection reports, etc., etc. completed and available?

I'd say consult with the AI.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

SnTman

Thanks a lot.
Your ASME Certification done. only lacking "U" stamp.
Vessel with all inspection and paperwork done and storage at manufacturer facility because project cancelled. Now project restarted so
will consult with AI.

Under those circumstances it seems possible to apply the U stamp.

Remember, you can ship bad product with good paper, but you can't ship good product with bad paper :)

Even some states in US do not require stamping for many pressure vessels, Texas for example.

Sounds like the AI is playing games to me. If he's done everything else then what's one punch stamp?

Do you have the U-1 certification? If yes then the physical stamp is surely then a formality?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

SnTMan

Thanks. Yes agree some US states do not require certain stamps.

So in summary;

1. Vessel was provided with ASME Certification mark so I believe design, manufacturing, inspections and reports are meeting code. It is just U stamp was not provided because it was not mandatory in that state (not sure exactly why but vendor saved some money)

2. That project got cancelled. Vessel is in storage. We are trying to repurpose the same vessel at diff. site (same design condition) where U stamp is required.

So should I take the message from this chain that technically it is possible to obtain U stamp and vendor should confirm with their AI.

It is odd that it would have the "ASME" stamp (Certification Mark per UG-116) but lack the U Designator. In past jobs I was involved in where the order stated "design and construction to Sec VIII, Div 1 but not stamped" I assumed that no stamp at all was applied.

kpandya2013, I think your situation will come down to "agreement among the parties".

ASME Here: ASME is a construction Code if so, once leaves the shop and get loosed, is not possible to certify a product.
In your case is worth, you shipped the vessel and possible to another country.
Unless the Inspection Agency authorize it and if the proper documentation exists it may be done as field stamping.
else you're out of luck. I can say that you will not be able to.
Don't forget that in other countries, the Gov. may not need stamping/certification, but Insurance Companies are Global and will demand Certifications
to underwrite a company's insurance policy.

General Blr. CA,USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back