Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME SECTION VIII, DIV. 1 UCS 66(c) 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac10

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2004
ES
FERRITIC STEEL flanges for use at MDMT not colder than minus 20 degree F could be exempted from impact testing by paragraph UCS-66(c) of ASME code Section VIII, Div 1.
Can someone help me with a definition of “ferritic Steel” according to the ASME code.? Can SA 105 be considered ferrict Steel?.

To complete the picture, I am not talking about ferritic stainless steel. The UCS-66(c) belong to part UCS: Carbon and Low Alloy Steel of the ASME code Section VIII, Div. 1.

Thanks in advance for he usual support.
Mac10

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mac10;
Yes. Reviewing ASME B16.5, SA 105 is listed in Table 1A of Material Specifications, therefore it would be exempt from testing at service temperatures warmer than -20 deg F, per UCS 66 paragraph c. The ferritic in this sense is applicable to the list of iron base materials in Table 1A of ASME B16.5.

It does seem confusing at times with various code committees designating specific classifications, but how I deal with this is use the code books like a road map. You start at point A and proceed to the next path including following the necessary reference documents, if applicable.

metengr
I Could not agree with your argument that since SA 105 is listed on Table A1 of B16.5 can be considered a Ferritic Steel. Why?. Because, following this argument we may also conclude that SA 182 Gr. F316L (which is also listed on table A1) is a ferritic Steel, and we know that SA 182 Gr. F316L is austenitic.

As far as I know SA 105 is included in curve B, of Fig. UCS-66, from which you could obtain the MDMT for impact testing exemption. However, I know people that thinks that SA 105 can be included in USC-66(c), of course I do not agree with them.

Please read ASME Section II. It contains ferrous and nonferrous material categories or material groupings. Generally, iron-base materials are considered ferrous despite specific or predominant phases in material - like ferrite/pearlite, martensite and austenite. Ferritic used in ASME material specifications delineates carbon/low alloy and heat treatable alloy steels from austenitic containing stainless steel -both are still grouped as ferrous per Section II!

A long time ago I sent in a request for interpretation ferrous/ferritic for UCS. After a few go-arounds I got it worded their way & the answer was SA-105 is considered "ferritic" for this par.:

Interpretation: Vlll-1-92-63

File: Question: Are ANSI B16.5 steel flanges made of SA-105 material considered tabe “ferritic”
as they would apply under the requirements of UCS-66(c) in Section VIII, Division l?
Reply Yes.

In addition to what Metengr said I would like to add the following: ferrous and ferritic are no synonims: ferrous just means an alloy with iron in it. ferritic means a ferrous alloy with a body centered cubic crystal lattice. So SA105 is ferrous and ferritic and f.e. SA240-316 is ferrous but not ferritic (since this has a face centered cubic lattice and so austenitic)! This is no ASME statement but just basic material science.

I have been surveyed some references for the definition or interpretation as follows;

1. ASME Sec. VIII Div.1
(1) Ferrous Metal/Steel: N.S
(2) Ferritic Steel:
- Part UHT: weldable CS or LAS which tensile properties have been enhanced by HT
- UCS-66(c): CS & LAS

2. ASME Sec. II
(1) Ferrous Metal: Metal with Fe >/ 50wt%
(2) Ferritic Steel: N.S

3. ASME B16.5

4. ASME B31.3
(2) Ferritic Steel: Table E323.22 [LAS, FSS, MSS]

5. ASTM
(1) Ferrous Metal: Metal with Fe >/ 50wt%

6. Metal Handbook, Vol.1-1990, p617, 936
(2) Ferritic Steel: CS & LAS

7. (1) Ferrous Metal : Metal relating or containing iron
(2) Ferritic Steel: A steels as a solid solution in which alpha iron is the solvent [e.g., CS, LAS, FSS, MSS]

8. Best definition/interpretation in ASME and Its Interpretations for Pressure Vessels [by Thomas Eun]
(1) Ferrous Metal : Metal with Fe >/ 50wt%
(2) Ferritic Steel: A CS or LAS as a solid solution in which alpha iron is the solvent [e.g., CS, LAS]
(3) Ferritic Stainless Steel: [FSS]
(4) Martensitic Stainless Steel: [MSS]

[Abbreviation]

N.S: Not specified
CS: Carbon Steels
LAS: Low Alloy Steels
HT: Heat Treatment
wt: Weight
FSS: Ferritic Stainless Steels [BCC structure]
MSS: Martensitic Stainless Steels [BCT structure]

Hope this helps,

Thomas Eun

Sorry. I am the new member who does not know how to so all fuctions (features)in this website. I sent you the message by mistake. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back