Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME section VIII Swivel Flanges : for subsea applications 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

billythegent

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2022
IN
Is there any code or standard which provides for the design of Swivel flanges? ASME B 16.5 provides for the design of lap joint, slip-on, weld neck flanges etc. but there is no mention of swivel flanges. There are two components to the swivel flange, the hub and the collar. All the mating parts for the bolts and gaskets are as per NPS, B 16.5 and 16.20 but when it comes to the hub I am not able to get a reference or design rule. I have the calculation note based on ASME section VIII div. 2 in Excel and for a given pressure, temperature, axial force, Bending moment, etc. I can vary the hub dimension till it passes. But this trial and error approach just doesn't seem right. Would appreciate if anyone could provide some guidance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean by a "swivel flange" exactly?

To me that could easily be a lap joint flange where the ring can swivel around the pipe.

Or do you mean one which can accept some level of axial misalignment?

Like the attached says, there is no standard for these custom designed items.(scroll down a bit)

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Having said that if you search API 6A you find references to ISO 13628-4 and API 17D for swivel flanges.

Hello Little inch. Thanks for the reply. It is similar to the lap joint, except the collar or the ring... swivels around the hub. The hub is the critical part here as the collar is pretty much as per the standard to make a STANDARD connection. When it comes to the hub design, depending on the operating conditions the dimension has to be varied. Most of the manufacturers publish the same set of dimensions in their catalogues but the dimension don't hold when you do the stress calculations as per ASME VIII, div I or II for different operating conditions. Here is the difficult part, varying the hub dimension seems very arbitrary without any guidelines as it is basically a trial and error method. This is the gist of the my problem, I want to understand if there exists guideline or a recommended practice for it.

Ah. I would go to api17D if I was you.

ASME VIII App 2 I think is notorious for saying flanges which comply to codes like B16.5 and 17D are over stressed.

However the design code for boilers and pipelines allow you to use fittings made to set standards listed in the code.

The recommended practice is not to stress analyse a fitting supplied to a given standard....

I need the calculation note/formula based on ASME section VIII div. 2 for a given pressure, temperature, to calculate axial force, Bending moment, etc. Please help in to get.Thank you for a kindness.

Please don't hijack someone elses thread.

Just start a new one with a good title and add details such as what you're doing and why.

We are not a free engineering service so add what you've done to try and find this out, why there isn't anyone in your organisation to ask and what it is you're trying to calculate. Your question currently doesn't make sense.

But start a new thread.

Kindly note dear little. It's not a copy or hijack I'm dealing with similar issue
Not fully aware of Sec.viii.Div.2.
Further, Note I'm also a engineer and has capability screw down all problems and find solutions too.If don't want to share knowledge it's ok.
I thaught its knowledge sharing platform.Futher I'm a free consultant because it's satisfy me well to help others.
Thank you .For suggestions I will start with new thread.

Santosh,

don't be so priockly. Your question (one line) gives no information as to what you're talking about.

ASME VIII appendix 2 I think is the key. If you search "ASME VIII appendix 2" on this site you may find this has been discussed many times before.

Dear Mr Santosh, thanks for replying on the thread. Please note that I am bound by NDAs as these datasheets are proprietary information of my client. Legally, I am not allowed to share it. It's not about "not wanting to share knowledge"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back