Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME SECVIII Div.II VS FEA for Pump Shaft Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arline

Industrial
Sep 28, 2006
US
Hello Friends,
1. Can anybody tell me to what extent the ASME SEC VIII Div.II code stress limits can be used in designing pump solid shaft. My understanding is that ASME code has to be compared only when we design vessels which are shell structures. Am i correct ?

2. Is it correct to compare the FEA stress results with ASME SECVIII Div. II allowable stress ?

Please help me........

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Airline,

The type of stresses developed in a shell are quite different from the stresses developed in a shaft. There are also safety cosiderations built in the allowable design stresses listed in the Pressure Vessel Code, not necessarily applicable in your case. You should compare the calculated operating/design stresses with the material yield or tensile stresses, guaranteed by the ASME / ANSI specification and by the material manufacturer (make sure is a reputed manufacturer). This is very broad advice, since there are other governing codes for your shaft design, with specific requirements.

gr2vessels

hi,
Thank you all you. You made me clear on this problem and also excellent shaft design document from Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back