Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME Stamped Vessels Have No Relief Devices 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottPearson

Chemical
Apr 28, 2005
US
I have several solvent storage tanks stamped at U-Stamped at 40 psig/150 F with a Conservation Vent/Vacuum vent installed on the tank. A secondary emergency manway vent is also on the tank. Typical pressures do not exceed atmospheric/ambient conditions, however I need to consider a Fire Scenario and Pump Overpressure. Vapor Pressure of the solvents at normal Temps do not exceed the MAWP. There is also not Nitrogen or purge gas connected to the tanks. The reported capacities appear to be ok for these even at the low set pressures (4 oz vent -6 oz hatch) The problem I see is that these devices are not stamped with capacities or set pressure.

Do I need an additional Relief Valve/Rupture Disc etc to satisfy the code? Are the conservation vent and hatch all that are necessary or is an ASME certified relief device at a stamped capacity required? i.e. do all ASME Stamped vessels need Stamped/Certified Relief Devices on them even when they are typically run at conditions much less than what the MAWP is on the vessel? And, can these be set at pressure below 15 psig?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The existing conservation vent and emergency hatch vent are adequetly sized for any overpressure scenario so there isn't a big rush to install something that might not be necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back