Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME UHX - Channel and Shell diameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franck L

Mechanical
Oct 25, 2016
FR
Hello everyone,

Is it possible, according to ASME UHX, to have a channel diameter different from the shell diameter? It seems that all figures are with the same diameter, but I saw no restriction about it so far.

Thanks

FL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Franck L, they are just sketches. Yes, it is permitted.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Thanks for the reply.
So there is no limitation in the diameters? One can be 2/3 of the other? And how (where) the UHW handles the torque generated by the non-alignment of the diameters?
FL

Franck L, I don't see any limitations noted. By "torque" I assume you mean bending imposed on the tubesheet.

I don't have a detailed understanding of Part UHX, but I see definitions of and the use of the various diameters in various calculated terms, leading to calculations of shear and bending stress in the tubesheet. I see the calculations performed for the various loading conditions. I see that the worst case governs.

So, I'd say that the effects of the non-alignment of diameters is handled by complicated and voluminous calculations.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Franck L
Do you have STANDARDS OF THE TUBULAR EXCHANGER MANUFACTURERS ASSOCIATION -TEMA?.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back