Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME VIII-1 certified engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbver98

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2002
BE
I don't know if there is any ASME VIII-1 (ASME B31.3 and B31.1 also) certification for engineers located overseas in Europe by instance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

arto,
I asked certification for engineers (kind of recognition) not for company.
I think it's like PE but I don't know if this exist overseas !

No such certification for engineers (the designer) exists in the USA, and I doubt that it exists oversees. This applies to Section VIII, Div 1, B31.1 and B31.3. B31.3 recently added provisions for qualifications for the designer (para. 301.1) but this calls for a combination of education and experience (including an option for a PE), and is not based on any certification program.

In the USA, PE is professional engineer which is a licensing program not specifically associated with the codes.

A licensed PE is required by code to be involved in Section VIII, Div 2 vessel design (User's Design Spec and Manufacturer's Design Report).

Thank cb4.

Leanne, I asked 2 things different : certification for welding engineer (AWS Forum) and certification for pressure vessel and piping designer (ASME Forum).
I conclude that there is a AWSCWEng not equivalent to EWE (EWF). And for pressure vessel there is a kind of "chatered engineer" but not overseas.

USA

No special certification program, however as mentioned by cb4 above, a Professional Engineer is required for Section VIII div 2. In addition in some juridictions a P.E. is required for repair and alterations.

You are correct in that the AWS CWEng is not equivalent to the EWE program. AWS is the USA acceditation body for the IWE dipolma which is equivalent, though at the present time having an IWE diploma is generally not required in the USA. It haowever hmay become important in the future due to the European Pessure Equipment Directive.

Australia

Though the Insitute of Engineers,Australia and the National Engineering Registration Board there is a Pressure Equipment Design Verifier

One must be a Chartered Professional Engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back