Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME VIII.1 UG-116(b)(1) [Edition 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdanPV

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2019
IL
In the new edition (2019) of the ASME BPVC Section VIII Division 1, paragraph UG-116 has been revised and W, P, B and RES has been removed from Table UG-116(b)(1).

Does it mean that a U-stamp holder is not allowed to put "W" on the Nameplate anymore?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're correct in that it has been removed from the requirements. From what I understand, the rationale was that the 'W' would be understood upon first glance at the vessel.

My local inspector commented that it was interesting that ASME didn't introduce a grace period similar to the Internal/External MAWP nameplate revision a while back, where code shops were given extra time to implement the revised rules after the code edition came into force.

Now, would your inspector interpret the requirement as 'No Longer Required' or 'Not Allowed'? That's a good question. My engineers have my code copy, so I can't refer to it right now, but is there anything in UG-116 that explicitly excludes any additional markings not mentioned in the table? Because that would be the basis to determine whether an item was not required (but could still be included), versus not required and explicitly not allowed because it's no longer required.

For similar situations in the past Code Cases were issued for those Certificate Holders with large
inventory of pre-made NamePlates. Contact your AIA office for guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back