Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME VIII-1 UHA-44

Status
Not open for further replies.

Industrial
May 15, 2008
SG
I have the question, I can not find the postfabrication strain limits and required heat treatment for the Material SA-240 316L or SA-240 304L, for example, I purchased a austenitic stainless steel plate, I want to form it into head, I can calculated forming strains, but it looks no any use because I can not find any requirements in the Table UHA-44 for the Heat treatment, Is it no any requirements for this material of the forming strain limits? Thank you a lot to explain in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will not find heat treatment requirements for L grades in this table because L grades are not used at high temperature, so recrystallization will not occure.

Hi all
I am not sure , but as you know cold forming generate some low carbon martensite that they are very magnetic.
if your part after forming have a magnetic behavior, you shall consider it and if your media is dangerous (H2S or Amie or same as that ,or occurs ssc or scc)you have to follow some other code same as NACE .
I think Hardness after forming is very important for considering Martensite content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back