Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME VIII Div.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fouriek

Mechanical
May 29, 2009
Code Reference:
UW-51(b)(3)- Radiographic Examination of Welded Joints.

Background:
UW-51(b): Indications shown on the radiographs of welds and characterized as imperfections are unacceptable under the following conditions………….
(3): any group of aligned indications that have an aggregate length greater than t in a length of 12t, except when the distance between the successive imperfections exceeds 6L where L is the length of the longest imperfection in the group;

Inquiry:
I would like to know if I'm interpreting ASME Section VIII, Div.I, paragraph number UW-51(b)(3) correct. If on a radiograph the group of aligned indications is acceptable under the first part of the paragraph, i.e.: "any group of aligned indications that have an aggregate length greater than 't' in a length of 12t," do I still need to consider the second part of the paragraph that states: "except when the distance between the successive imperfections exceeds 6L where L is the length of the longest imperfection in the group;” ?

Your assistance with this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No. Poorly written clause, but it is an "If, Then" statement. If there is aligned porosity that exceeds . . ., then it can be accepted based on , , ,

Second clause is only applicable when the porosity fails the first clause. In the 'real word',an RT that passes the first clause will usually pass the second clause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back