Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME VIII-div 2- Design by Analysis_ Stress classification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raidrp

Mechanical
Jan 12, 2023
CA
I created this account to get a better understanding of some concepts in the ASME BPV Code. I believe the code is complex in it self and it sure needs help at first to be understood and memorized.

My questions is regarding stress classification,If I am understanding right, when simulating a PV we apply all the different type of loads affecting the structure and then evaluate the stresses subjected.So the primary and secondary stresses subjected from internal pressure and thermal gradient are coupled in the output equivalent stress.

How are the primary and secondary identified if they are coupled in the output stresses? Also it is not very clear to me what is each of : Stress intensity, Principle Stresses, Equivalent stresses? Why is bending coupled with membrane ? I belive I'm lacking the basics as everything is very confusing.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I highly recommend you take a training course. You are asking for much more than can be provided, for free, on the internet.

I highly recommend that you start with reviewing paragraph 5.2.1.2, followed closely by 5.2.1.3, and 5.2.1.4.

Thank you, Yeah I thought so!

The official ASME DIV2 course and certifiction seems a bit too expensif at the moment.

Look for a Part 5 specific training. The cost these training is incredibly small compared to their value, especially if you are going to be doing this type of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back