Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME VIII UG-84(h)(5) - Multiple Process Welding Procedures Temperature "Penalty"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingpro4

Materials
Dec 17, 2021
US
Question for all the great minds on this board.

I am working on a welding procedure for ASME VIII/IX. It is on a 1/4" coupon that was welded with multiple process (2 to be exact). I am fully aware that we could have welded with both processes on separate coupons but we didn't.

The test lab was able to remove the charpy specimens for each process with the final dimensions of 10mmx2.5mm. For a single process I know we are to incur a 50°F temp penalty for the subsized specimen. But the test lab tested these all at -55°F stating that UG-84(h)(5)(b) applies here.

(3) Multiple Process Welding Procedures. When qualifying a welding procedure with impact testing that employs multiple welding processes, or multiple sets of essential and supplementary essential variables for a welding process, the welding procedure shall be qualified by testing separate sets of impact test specimens removed from the weld metal and heat-affected zone, as follows:
(-a) The requirements of (f) shall be met.​
(-b) The requirements of (g) and (3) specifying the location, number, and orientation of test specimen sets to be removed for each welding process or set of variables shall be modified as follows:​
(-1) The weld thickness shall be considered the base metal thickness.
(-2) The surface of the last deposited layer of weld metal shall be considered the weld surface.​
(-3) The root side of the first deposited layer of weld metal shall be considered the root surface.​

Their comment on this is that with this being two processes each 0.125" in thickness and applying (b)(1) above gives the material thickness for each process as 0.125" which is within the 80% rule for the temp. penalty and thus we don't incur the 50°F temp reduction.

Are they correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back