Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Y14.5 1994

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMango

Mechanical
May 1, 2001
US
There is a slight discussion going on in another Forum, so I thought I would come here to clairify it.

Say you have a multiple feature (5X) that needs to be dimensioned as a Basic Dimension (enclosed in a box), is it the standard to place the 5X inside or outside the Basic Dimmension box? "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have the 9th edition 1995 and it says the same thing, I was just checking to see if it was different for 1994.

Thanks for the quick response. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

Actually, either inside or outside is acceptable. ASME Y14.5M-1994, paragraph 1.9.5 states the requirement as follows:

"1.9.5 Repetitive Features or Dimensions. Repetitive features or dimensions may be specified by the use of an X in conjunction with a numeral to indicate the “number of places” required. See Figs. 1-52 through 1-56. Where used with a basic dimension, the X may be placed either inside or outside the basic dimension frame. See Figs. 4-26 and 5-14."

Either way is acceptable, but I don't think both methods should be mixed on the same drawing for consistancy.

GDT_GUY

Hi All,

My question pertains to the revisions made on drawings.

I understand that the revision letter must be updated every time a change is made on a drawing. My first question is if the drawing contains multiple sheets does every sheet need to have its revision letter changed or does it change only on the sheet that the drawing change was made on??

Second question is about the revision block that has the area where you describe what changes have been made on the drawing. Does every single change you made on a the revised drawing have to be described inside this revision block or is the revision letter change made on the drawing enough to signal the change??

Your response is greatly appreciated.

First off, your drawing should only reflect 1 part, so regardless of how many pages the drawing has, if the part has changed, then each sheet should reflect the new revision level. My personal opinion anyway, I have seen only one page rev'd, and I have seen all pages rev'd, prefering all pages to be rev'd.

As for the revision block in the corner of the drawing, each company is going to do something different. Some companies require every change to be displayed, many times resulting in the first page of a drawing to be nothing but descriptions of revision changes. Other companies may only truncate the changes, and put the most drastic change in the block.

Some companies (like mine) don't put any information in the revision block, and reply on a well detailed Document Change Notices (DCN) to document the changes. On the drawing, changed features or dimensions are flaged with the new revision level inside parenthesis.

According to the 9th edition of the DMR by Global Engineering Documents, section 23.5 Identifying Revisions on Drawings, you can do the following:
A) Describe the change in the Revison History block, with zone locators for clarity.
B) Reference the ADCN/DCN of the change in the Revision History Block.
C) Place a revision symbol in the field of the drawing
D) Any combination of A, B< or C above for ease of tracking.

The bottom line is to document any changes so there is no room for errors or different interpretations.
&quot;The attempt and not the deed confounds us.&quot;

RevUpdate,

What industry do you work in? And do you have a contract with your customer as to the drawing requirements?

MadMango stated that you should only have one part per drawing, which isn't necessarily true. When following the DOD-D-1000 and/or DOD-STD-100, you can have a mono-detial drawing, multi-detail drawing, inseperable assembly drawing, or several others. The drawing requirements for rev history also depends on it being a level 1, 2, or 3 drawing.

The DMR by Global Engineering is a great document to pick up if you are not required to follow any specific standard. It basically combines all the requirements of several ANSI/ASME standards as well as their military counterparts and puts them in one easy to use, giant sized binder. The problem is that the DMR doesn't reference each section to the specific ANSI standard and the DMR is not a recognized industrial standard. So, if someone asks what standard you follow, you can't say the DMR from Global Engineering, you have to research the correct ANSI standard that is referenced in the DMR.

If you want a free copy of MIL-STD-100, go to

Below is a link to an old revision because it hasn't been stripped down yet. Revision G of MIL-STD-100 removes the parts that duplicate industry standards. Chapter 600 refers to revision history. FYI: MIL-STD-100 has been canceled and superseded by the appropriate ASME standards.
The page is a little slow to load. Be patient.

Swertel, thanks for being more specific and providing a true standard as refernce. Where I work, people think standards are hurdles not stepping stones. For this reason I always state when I reference from the DMR since it isn't a true standard. &quot;The attempt and not the deed confounds us.&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back