Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME Y14.5 For General Dimensions and Tolerancing 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shuttle128

May 9, 2011
US
At most companies I've worked for we have included a general note in engineering drawings that states something along the lines of "Interpret Drawing per ASME Y14.5" as a general note included in all drawings regardless of whether GD&T feature control frames or datums are defined in the drawings. My understanding has always been that even if GD&T is not used in the drawing, the Y14.5 standard still provides a basic definition of drawing dimensioning and tolerancing for general dimensions and features so that the fabricator knows how to interpret the drawing.

I was recently asked to remove the standard note from a drawing by a peer and was surprised to learn that this engineer's interpretation was different from mine in that they believed that applying this note was only necessary if GD&T specific features were used on the drawing.

If I'm in the wrong, please help me change my mind. Otherwise, some support would be nice!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shuttle128 said:
our case the company document refers in large part to Y14.5. In our case though, our drawings are sent to outside customers who generally don't have access to this document and is considered proprietary

Your company made a document that is your guide.
Your company chose Y14.5 as the standard for dimensioning and tolerancing.
Your company probably has additional confidential contained in this document, therefore it's protected.
Your company requires contractors to follow the drawing requirements, but they can't because you can't give them the "Confidential Company CAD Checker" [sub](I'm gonna trademark this name, don't steal it)[/sub]
Now this makes a case of ignorantia juris non excusat - it is now your responsibility to train the contractor on Y14.5 field so they will know what you expect from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back