Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ASME 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaouther

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2018
TN
WELL,I am not familiar with the ASTM code , I am actually requested to provide a vendor with the class , thickness and the grade of fittings and the flanges .The working pressure of the main pipe is 111 bar .The client has recommended ASTM 694 F60 .
Where should I start .
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where should you start with what exactly? Your question lacks to too much details for other members to provide you with useful advice. Whats the design code, design tempertature, service conditions?

Given the nature how you pose your question, Id like to ask for your background. Whats your profession and experience? What exactly do you want to find out? Do you have sufficient experience to understand any advice or answer you may get? What kind of answer are you expecting? Something tells me you may better leave this question to experienced consultant, or better yet, experienced mentor to train you on the job.

kaouther;
Besides the excellent advice given by XL83NL, I would contact an engineering firm that specializes in pressure vessel/piping engineering and pay them to perform this activity. Your question is so fundamental, I would not know where to begin to help.

the design code is ASME B 16 9
DESIGN PRESSURE 111 BAR
DESIGN TEMPERATURE -20--80 °C
12" NATURAL GAS PIPE
i would like to know the schedule and size of the fittings to use (Flanges; tee; elbow...)

Your answer has provided sufficient details on the experience of your profession. With all due respect, follow the advice provided above (by both metengr and me), and find an engineering forum to help you on this. You are obviously not qualified to do this yourself.

Furthermore, using CPAS LOCK is not somehting you're not familiar with; try to understand it, as it will certainly help you in getting more willingness from other member across this board.

It is apparent that you have little experience with pipeline design. The pipeline design/construction Code is likely ASME B31.8. Find out if this is indeed the Code or if ASME B31.3 or some other Code. The Customer is suggesting A694 forged fittings with a minimum specified yield strength of 60 ksi. Obtain a copy of A694. Find out what the mating pipe is - most likely API 5LX-60. Then find out what the thickness is of the pipe. Then google manufacturers of such forged fittings that meet B16.9.

ASME B16.9 is not a design code. It is a standard which "covers overall dimensions, tolerances, ratings, testing, and markings for wrought carbon and alloy steel factory-made buttwelding fittings of NPS 1/2 through 48. It covers fittings of any producible wall thickness." (I recommend figuring out the applicable design code (together with your customer and/or end user, as it is the owner's responsibility to designate the applicable code section for a piping installation). Then, as suggested by XL83NL and metengr, hire a competent engineering firm to do the design/sizing for your piping/fittings.

Also, as stated above, ASME B16.9 is not the code, but the standard for "Factory-Made Wrought Buttwelding Fittings". But that is not the standard for flanges. Normally, the flanges would fall under ASME B16.5 "Pipe Flanges & Flanged Fittings" for up to 24" but since your Client is recommending A694 Gr. F60, this should fall under the MSS SP-44 "Steel Pipeline Flanges" standard because A694 is not a listed material under B16.5.

Here is a link to a previous post to help with some of the differences:
Again, the code will need to be verified with the owner, and could be any one of the following:
ASME B31.3 "Process Piping"
ASME B31.4 "Pipeline Transportation for Liquids & Slurries"
ASME B31.8 "Gas Trasmission & Distribution Piping Systems" (likely)

All of these codes have their own requirements and most are quite extensive to read through. And since you are unfamiliar with the codes, it's best to leave it to someone else. I do appreciate the fact that you admit that you are not familiar with the ASTM or ASME codes & standards, but as everyone has stated above, you need to find a trained and qualified individual or separate firm to do the engineering and design of the piping. There are many factors that go into determining piping size, wall thicknesses, classes, etc., and this is not something you should just be guessing at and trying to figure out yourself. That's how people get hurt.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back