Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asphalt Anchors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianium500

Structural
Dec 3, 2008
US
I am designing a deck for a temporary kitchen required by AACHA. I am trying to avoid tearing up the clients parking lot with footers. I was wondering if anyone had experience in using asphalt anchors. I am thinking on placing the 4 x 4 post directly on the asphalt with an ABU44, then anchoring with a 1/2" anchor.
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dianium, if the loading is minimal shear only, that may work. If you have any uplift, you'll likely create a messier problem than the footers would have. Consider spiral or duckbill earth anchors if you need uplift resistance.

Temporary or not, you have to design your anchorage for wind loading, including overturning moment. That can make your footing (NOT FOOTER) fairly large, particularly if placed on top of the asphalt. You might consider relatively small helical anchors into the base or subgrade, then repair the asphalt when you take them out. Very similar to repairing a core hole in asphalt (commonly done) when thickness and density checks are made on the asphalt. One person with a bag of cold mix and a 2-lb sledge hammer can repair each in 15 minutes.

I am designing for an ultimate wind speed of 150 mph exposure C, so it's pretty substantial. I saw the asphalt anchors can get 1,500 - 2,000 lbs. My thoughts were to take an ABU44 or ABU66 depending on the post, and anchoring it down with an asphalt anchor. I don't know much about these anchors and my initial thoughts were to cut asphalt, install footers and embed the post. Then I stumbled on the asphalt anchors, and now I think I can give my client a better design w/o so much damage to the parking lot.

If the capacity of a single asphalt anchor is adequate at each location, then it looks like those will work. The one I looked had anchors rated up to 2500 lbs, but they couldn't be any closer than 12" and there had to be at least 2" of asphalt thickness.

The anchor may be fine for that load- but is the asphalt? Back calculate how much asphalt it would need to lift up to resist that force and see if it is a reasonable amount.
Also- make sure you are comparing apples to apples- Is the "rated" load ASD or ULT? Divide by 4 or 5 if it is the ultimate capacity.

I've use helical anchors (like Hotrod suggested) in similar situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back