Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asphalt Cement Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuhjo

Civil/Environmental
Feb 6, 2007
US
Currently at my job I've been giving the task of coming up with a chart that by using a stick measurement, you can see how much room you have for another load of AC. We currently have charts, but they need to be updated because they are from the early 90's and they are to half inch measurements. We are looking to upgrade where these charts read off of measurments in 1/8" increments. An example of what we currently have is as follows:

If I stick a tank and my tape measure reads 3.5", that means I have 3.5" of air. I go to the chart at 3.5", read across and it says 19,167.7 gallons. I times that by .9187 (300 degree conversion) and times that answer by 8.53 lbs. per gallon and divide that answer by 2000 to get my ton of AC.

My question is, is there a website, an excel format, etc. Where I can plug in the dimensions of the tank, the dimensions of the heaters that heat the tank (inside the tank and needs to be subtracted from total volume), all while getting a chart that I can narrow down to 1/8". If anyone knows, please post a response, this would be a big help seeing I have nearly 80 AC tanks to come up with new charts.

Joel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PI * D^2/4 * H gives the volume in a cylinder. This should be accurate enough if you are not using this for custody transfer. If you are, and have a lot of tanks, then consider some type of tank terminal management software. Goggle Varec, Rosemount, AC2.

If you have charts/tables that give you the volume accurately every 1/2" then you can easily use excel to plot the data and do a curve fit to get an equation that you can plug you field values in to accurately get any level you want. Or you could use the regression analysis in tool pack to do the same thing. That seems better than starting from scratch unless the data you have now is poor. Then I would follow TLKemp's advice and start with the basic equations.

Regards
StoneCold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back